Folks, it's week 6 of The ORC. Normally, you'd get the reveal today. However, the founder chose to add a week to this challenge, due to the unexpected delays the weather has caused. Luckily, Alana, Kyle and I didn't experience any delays with our products - but we could certainly use the extra week. Kyle could use the time to edit photos and I am actually moving TODAY! We did finish the shoot last Friday, so I felt it was only fair to share some behind the scenes snaps. The professional photos are what will really show off the space best - but my iPhone shots will have to do for now. Be sure to come back next week to see the full space in all its glory!
GUYS, the wallpaper is finally up! Can I tell you the struggle we faced here? We had multiple cancellations from the hanger - so many that Alana considered doing the work herself. However, hanging wallpaper is NO JOKE and I highly discouraged her from it. We still have a long way to go on the set up, but we've been waiting for the wallpaper to go up first. This is a going to be a BIG WEEK in terms of progress. Believe it or not, but the shoot is FRIDAY! I'll share some behind the scenes sneak peeks via Insta-stories as we ready up this room.
If you haven't already heard, the reveal got pushed out a week. All of the recent natural disasters have delayed a good bit of product, so Linda (ORC founder) has added a week to the challenge. Since I am in the middle of a major move, we are sticking to our original shoot date and plan. Next week's post will likely just be a sneak peek (one photo) and then you can see the full space on 11/16.
Alright, folks, are you ready for week four? I'm just going to come right out and say it - this post is a quickie! We have made so much progress on The One Room Challenge to date - but have a looooooong way to go. The painting and wallpaper was done earlier this week, but I'm saving those photos for next week.
This week, we're talking about the almighty dolla dolla bill, ya'll. Let's break down the budget. Where did we spend? Well, truth be told, we didn't get too spendy here. We planned to keep the budget low, but didn't anticipate that we could pull both rooms together for less than $2k. So how did we do it? Well, we did our best to work with the existing items in the room. The bed, for example, was begging for a little "umphf." To highlight this piece, we wallpapered the wall behind it and added sconces beside it. Next to the bed, we scored the steal of the century - a set of Anthropologie nightstands for $300! How? SUPER SALE! They were a little damaged and discounted to reflect that. After coming up short in that category, we pounced!
Alana and I also put our thrifting skills to #werk. We spent an afternoon hitting up all of our favorite thrift stores. We scored some pretty fantastic artwork, mirrors and decor. They will all come together in a gallery wall above the little blue bench and will make the space POP - but also help to keep the budget in check. You can check out all of the other items we considered for the space here.
All in all, we're super excited to be on budget. We're jazzed about how the space is turning out, but are honestly getting a little bit burned out. Pulling two rooms together in six weeks is NO JOKE! On top of that, Alana (client) is currently on a work trip in India and I am in the middle of a major move. Buying and selling homes at the same time is one of the more stressful things I've ever done. I can't wait to be on the other side of things.
Wish us luck as we crawl towards the finish line.
My clients always ask me, "What is the first piece we need to pick out?" Truthfully, any item can act as a starting point. In this case, Alana and I were all about this rug. We knew we wanted to keep it, but it featured a pretty tricky pattern. We started by choosing a wallpaper with a print that worked with the rug's pattern. Then we selected a paint shade that was also in the rug and the wallpaper. These common threads helped us keep the rug, while introducing a fun wallpapered accent wall.
Some of our exciting pieces have started to pour in. The bench arrived - and not in the color we expected. It was supposed to be a blush tone, but arrived a bit too close to the wall color. In design, this stuff happens. You have to be flexible. We're working with it! Our sconces also arrived; they were chosen to match to the brass bed.